Ayot Green A gallery of old pictures of Ayot Green (still under construction) Ayot Green around 1905, looking north west towards Ayot St Peter Road. The smithy can be seen in the background of this picture Another view of Ayot Green around 1905, looking north west towards Ayot St Peter Road. The cottages on the left were demolished for Haven House to be built in 1913. The building on the right was Draper’s post office and shop. A similar view from about 1905 – the building on the right was Draper’s shop and post office, and beyond that it is just possible to see the smithy Draper’s shop and post office, with George and Sarah Draper and some of their family posed outside. The sign over the door reads “Post Office”. This picture was probably taken in the 1890s. Two sons of the Draper family were killed in WW1 and are remembered on the war memorial – George and Samuel. Two daughters are buried in the old churchyard – Grace who died in 1899 and Mercy who died in 1920. Another view from about 1905 with Draper’s post office and the smithy clearly visible in the background A similar view of Ayot Green after 1913, when Haven House was constructed to replace the two cottages on the corner. Looking north west towards Ayot St Peter Road Another view of Haven House, which was built in 1913 Harriett Emma Wardill (c. 1877 to 1954) on the left, with two friends, photographed from the upstairs of her home Haven House on Ayot Green. Late 1920s. A view of the Green around 1904 The Smithy, around 1909 The Post Office around 1911. This is now number 6 Ayot Green A view across the Green to the Post Office The Horse & Jockey pub from across the Green. This is now a private house – 5 Ayot Green The Waggoners public house (which still exists on the Brickwall Close cul-de-sac) in the days when it stood on the Great North Road from London to the north. The reading room can just be seen in the background.