Ayot St Peter had a railway station on the Hatfield to Dunstable line, which was located on the Ayot St Peter Road. The station opened on 2 July 1877 and was known simply as “Ayot”.
A fire broke out at the station in July 1948, and most of the buildings were destroyed. The station closed for passengers on 26 September 1949, although passenger trains used the line until 1965.
The old station car park and goods yards are now the car park for the Ayot Greenway, a popular walking route that follows the disused railway line from Ayot to Wheathampstead.
The station master’s house still exists and is now a private house.